June 6, 2009

Ode to Pixar

So, I just saw the latest installment of the Pixar franchise..."Up". Of course it was fantastic, as all Pixar movies are. Although, I thought the story was quite random...not sure how they came up with some of that stuff. But, in typical fashion, it was captivating, colorful, masterfully created, and funny. Heard the adults laughing more than the kids....watch out for those snipe :)

So, being that there are 10 Pixar movies total, I thought I would share my Top 10 Pixar movie picks: (They are all a "must-see")

#1) TOY STORY

The original is still the BEST!! I saw this for the first time when I was 16, and I have seen it many times since. Characters and story are unbelievably creative! I mean everything from the army men doing a "re-con mission" of Andy's bday party to the aliens with "the claw"...it's priceless! Not only is it my favorite Pixar movie, it's one of my favorite movies of all time! Love it :)


#2) FINDING NEMO

"P. Sherman. 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney" :) Without a doubt...the funniest of all the Pixar flicks. Great story and great characters (love the sharks, Dory, sea turtles,and the fish tank captives). So do you speak whale? "Maybe you should try a different dialect, like humpback." :)



#3) MONSTERS INC.

Probably the most under-rated of the collection, but once again...the story is perfect! They capture a day in the life of "monsters in the closet". "Boo" steals the show...and she hardly speaks at all, except to say "Kitty" or "Mike Wazowski!". Soo cute :)



#4) WALL*E

The best love story of 2008 was, in fact, a cartoon. I didn't really care for the political undertones, but the fact that the first half of the movie was done essentially without dialogue...only mannerisms of robots and sounds...GENIUS!!!




#5) TOY STORY 2

Some movie critics like this sequel better than the 1st...a feat that is rarely accomplished. Truthfully, I remember loving it, but haven't seen it in forever...need to revisit it again, since next year's Pixar movie is said to be "Toy Story 3"...YAY!!




#6) RATATOUILLE

The hardest part is pronouncing it or spelling it :) I remember leaving the theater after this one, and wanting to go cook something fantastic! Only criticism...I think it missed the mark on witty adult humor that is so prevalent in the other films.




#7) UP

Parts of the story were so well done...like capturing the "growing old together" relationship, but other parts were so random and off-the-wall, like Kevin and the dog collars, that I found it a little distracting. Colors and concept were great, but just fell a little short in my eyes.



#8) A BUG'S LIFE

Very cute and creative, but I must confess...it's been a long time since I've seen this one also. My opinion might have changed since the last time I saw it.





#9) THE INCREDIBLES

I know some of you are shouting at your computer screens right now, because most people loved this one. Here's what I think it is for me...Pixar is at it's finest when they capture the soul and personality of animals and objects, that in reality, do not exist. That is when I'm truly captivated! So, main characters here were people...eh...a little blah for me. Also, a little tired of the superhero thing.

#10) CARS

Someone had to be last, right? This had such potential!! Maybe I was let down because I love cars so much, and was excited to see how they would capture that. Also, felt that this was the least funny. But, the worst Pixar movie is still one of the best movies I've seen in the past 10 years.

1 comment:

Joel said...

They're back! Enjoyed the Pixar breakdown. Maybe you should do more top 10 lists.